Qualifications and Awards:
BSc (Hons) Astronomy and Space Science
Fellow of the Royal Astronomical Society
Fellow of the Royal Geographical Society
- Competent with film making equipment, specifically DSLR equipment from amateur through to professional.
- Professional photographer. Worked on passion projects and commissions for a
number of years.
- Qualified astronomer, studied at University of South Wales in everything from stargazing to using telescopes to planetary robot design.
- Trained Mountain Leader and proficient alpinist. Many summer and winter seasons spent mountaineering worldwide and especially in the Brecon Beacons.
- Skilled on camera presenter. With over 1 million views of films he’s presented online and another million views on TV.
- Accomplished stage performer with audiences of 600,000 people on 6 continents across the world, Huw’s first trade is public speaking and stage shows.
2006 to 2009: Science Presenter at Techniquest and Cardiff University
Huw started in public engagement and communicating science straight out of University. After graduating with an Honours degree in Astronomy and Space Science, Huw set his sights on communicating science with the public. He spent a year at the UK’s oldest science centre, Techniquest, working his way up from presenter to organising the science centre’s outreach to travelling abroad working with partners on science exhibits. He then moved on to Cardiff University and their spin out company ‘science made simple’. This is where Huw began to hone all his skills that he would develop further on in his career from public speaking, film making, show writing, communicating science and more.
2009 to Present: Director – To the Blue Group
Huw now runs the successful company ‘To the Blue’. It runs a range of projects from the ‘All Around You Roadshow’ for Robert Bosch GmbH to the 2012 Olympic endorsed ‘In the Zone’ feature tour for the Wellcome Trust. The company has handled a lot of large and small scale projects but always stayed with their roots of media and public engagement.
Huw has done talks and shows on 6 continents around the world about science, adventure and more. Working with translators on stage, or by himself, Huw has had audiences of over 600,000 in his public speaking career. He holds a distinction in public speaking from the London Academy of Music and Dramatic Arts and has written and performed many shows for the public.
His work with online channels such as HeadSqueeze and VideoJug have seen his videos viewed by over 1 million people. Huw has presented for YouTube for many years as well as for the small screen with shows like SportsLab doing amazingly well on channels like Kix TV. He regularly appears on local radio as science advisor but also for national radio like BBC Wales, having done several pieces including a mini-series on Welsh adventurers.
Huw’s mix of outdoor training, climbing and mountaineering place him in the perfect locations to grab those night time starry sky shots or day time extreme mountaineering shots. He is an experienced mountain leader with seasons in Wales, Scotland and the Alps. A trained climbing instructor and mountain leader, he is 100% efficient in the field.